DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
“There is no cause half so sacred as the cause of a people. There is no idea so uplifting as the idea of the service of humanity.” – President Woodrow Wilson: The Father of Public Administration
HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT:
The Department of Public Administration was started in the year 2018 to meet the growing need of able administrators and leaders who can steer the country with good governance. Public Administration acts as an instrument of change in the society and plays a vital role in the security and well-being of its citizens. A government’s success rests on its ability to execute laws and policies uniformly and without bias. Public Administration has been included as an independent subject in the Civil Services Examinations since 1987. A career in Civil Services is for the aspiring young generation who can serve the country in dynamic yet challenging roles. The study of Public Administration helps students to become government workers in the future who oversee and work in
government departments. For those aspiring to clear the UPSC and State Public Service Commission examinations, this is an assured subject and hence it has been recommended by Administrative Reform Commission as fit instrument for carrying out the social and economic policies of the government. Also the discipline extends the career scope in the private sector too. Although, this
department is relatively new, two batches have passed out in the years 2021 and 2022.
DEPARTMENT FIVE STAR POINTS:
* The Department delivers effective lectures through smart classrooms and preparing students to clear state and central service examinations (UPSC,TNPSC).
* The Department encourages students to participate and present papers in various National and International Conferences and Seminars.
* The Department emboldens students by giving them opportunities in public speaking.
* The Department organizes guest lectures and workshops by inviting both national and international resource persons.
* The Department encourages students in various research activities, conduct competitions like debate, group discussions, role play, etc to enhance knowledge and leadership skills.
ABOUT THE COURSE
The Bachelor of Arts in Public Administration is a 3 year (6 Semester) regular programme offered under the University of Madras. The program’s goal is to give students a top-notch education so they can pursue a complete career in Public Administration.
A student is eligible to join the course if they have completed a course equivalent to 10+2, or pre-university in any group with an overall grade point average of 40%, including languages.
● To promote young Bureaucrats in Indian Administration for establishing a welfare state with Sustainable Development.
● To provide value added capacity building for Public Personnel and Private Sector Administrators.
● To encourage the highest standards of Professional Practice and Service to the Public by enhancing the understanding of the Public Sector and advocating the highest values and ideals of Public Service
● Our Undergraduate Program provides a foundation for learning Competitive Exams such as UPSC, TNPSC, SSC, RRB, LIC, OTA and other Bank Exams.
● Our course promotes excellent Leadership and Ethical Values in both Public and Private Sectors.
● Our faculty and students are expected to be competent and ethical leaders committed to the nation and its people.
● Our department promotes an environment characterized by collaborative learning, guided by the core values of our College.
* This Program would create an opportunity for students to hold important Government Positions such as IAS, IPS, IFS etc.
* It also encourages students to hold and participate in Political Activities from Grass root Level i.e., Village Panchayats, Local Bodies, Municipalities, Corporation, etc.
* It would also assist the students for various other competitive exams such as Bursar, BDO, MTS, AAO, etc.
* It enhances participation of Public in Good Governance, Public Policy Making, Citizen Participation in Administration.
* It provides opportunity for youngsters to work in International institutions like PSI.
To cater to the needs of the present scenario our curriculum offers core and allied subjects like Principles of Public Administration, Administrative Thinkers, Indian Constitution, Modern Administrative System, Principles of Management, Human Rights Theory and Practice, Indian Administration, Social Welfare Administration, Principles of Political Science, Human Resource
Management, Public Financial Administration, E- Governance in India, Development Administration, Administrative Law, Local Government and Administration in India, Administration of Public Enterprises, Educational Administration, International Organization and Administration, Public Policies in India, Police Administration, Labour Welfare Administration, and Management of Non-Profit Sector. Students are also given an opportunity to develop human values and improve personality through soft skills training which include Value education and Personality Enrichment.
Ms. Jayashree R
Dr. Sulochana D
Dr. Harrieya V
Ms. Sangeetha K
Ms. Sherry Jose –
SCOPE/AREA OF INTEREST:
- Central Government Positions (UPSC, SSC, RRB )
- State Government Positions (TNPSC)
- Administrative Officer
- Public Affairs Specialist
- Public Relations Manager
- Economic Consultant
- Fundraising Manager
- Philanthropy Manager
- Policy Analyst
- Political Analyst
- Regulatory Affairs Manager
- Natural Resource Technician
❖ Bureaucrats (IAS)
❖ Border Security Force (BSF)
❖ National Development Council (NDC)
❖ Police Administration
❖ Officer Training Academy (OTA)
❖ Coastal Guards
❖ Public Relations Officer (PRO)
❖ Human Resources Management (HRM)
❖ Municipal Bodies
❖ Panchayati Raj
❖ Non Governmental Organization (NGO)