HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
Since its conception in 2018, the Department of Psychology has strived to meet the increasing demand for mental health professionals by providing a foundational undergraduate course. Mental Health Awareness and treatment of mental ailments is very necessary in today’s world and the Department of Psychology aims to prepare students to become ambassadors and resourceful professional psychologists who can effectively provide solutions to solve this problem. The Department is equipped with state of the art laboratories, well qualified and experienced staff to prepare students for this mighty task.
ABOUT THE COURSE
The Bachelor of Science in Psychology is a 3 year (6 Semester) regular programme offered under the University of Madras. The program’s goal is to give students a top-notch education so they can pursue a complete career in psychology. Students can improve knowledge, abilities, and attitudes in the theoretical, investigative, and applied fields of psychology. Upon completion there is a wide range of opportunities for the student to excel in their areas of interest and develop the skills required to propel their future career.
A student is eligible to join the course if they have completed a course equivalent to 10+2, or pre-university in any group with an overall grade point average of 40%, including
● To learn the scientific principles of behaviour and mental processes
● To practically apply the scientific principles in Psychology for personal and professional growth.
● To make significant contributions to the science and practice of psychology so as to produce professionals who serve the local, national, and global communities
● Provide a foundation for the scientific understanding of behaviour and mental processes. Our undergraduate program prepares students to become Psychology Specialists and Counsellors who provide evidence-based services for children, adults, and families in a variety of healthcare and educational settings.
● Facilitating students to be competent and ethical professionals committed to the science of psychology and its application to real-world situations.
● Promote an environment characterized by collaborative learning, guided by the core values of our College and professional organizations.
To cater to the needs of the present scenario our curriculum offers core and allied subjects like General Psychology, Biological Psychology, Indian Psychology, Community Psychology, Developmental Psychology, Statistics in Psychology, Consumer Behaviour and Advertisement. Abnormal Psychology, Social Psychology, Research Methodology, Health Psychology, Sports Psychology, Theories of Personality, Guidance and Counselling Psychology, and Human Resource management. Applied knowledge is gained through practical papers like Experimental Psychology and Psychological Assessment. Students are also given an opportunity to develop human values and improve personality through soft skills training which include Value education and Personality Enrichment.
SCOPE/AREA OF INTEREST:
- School Counsellors
- Engineering Psychologists
- Industrial Organizational psychologist
- Psychology Teacher
- Clinical Psychologist
- Counselling Psychologist
- School Psychologist
- Forensic Psychologist
- Sports Psychologist
Ms. Pavithra L N
Ms. Haripriya B
Mr. Rohit Prasanna Sri
Ms. Sherry Jose