HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT:
The history of Agurchand Manmull Jain College, Shift –II (previously known as the Evening Section) can be dated back to the year 1972.
Agurchand Manmull Jain College established the Department of Marketing Management in the academic year 2014-2015 with only 4 students admitted into the program. The Marketing Management program of AMJC is designed to prepare students for employment in a variety of positions involved in the marketing of goods and services, such as buying, selling, merchandising, advertising, customer relations, or promotions, as well as other professions such as Chartered Accountancy. This course will provide students with the fundamentals of marketing theory and practice, consumer behavior, digital marketing and marketing research, as well as the strategies, tactics, and tools that are necessary to create successful marketing campaigns.
ABOUT THE COURSE:
The course B.Com (Marketing Management) is a 3-year (6 Semesters) regular programme offered by the University of Madras.
The department has been combined with the Department of Commerce (Bank Management) since its inception, with faculties handling both banking and marketing subjects. The University of Madras has introduced subjects like marketing research, digital marketing, customer relationship management and sales & distribution management as integral parts of the curriculum. Students undertake research projects in their final semester in the field of marketing like customer satisfaction, buyer behaviour, customer relationship management, and digital marketing, among others. Students will be well equipped to provide market intelligence support to entrepreneurs.
The Department has a sanctioned strength of 70 students per academic year. The Department of Marketing Management has 9 core faculties for handling the major subjects and faculties from the Department of Economics and Department of Mathematics for handling allied papers such as Business Economics and Statistics.
A student is eligible to join the course if they have completed a course equivalent to 10+2, or pre-university in any group with an overall percentage of 40%, including languages.
VISION OF THE DEPARTMENT:
- To provide a conducive, supportive and learning environment in which every individual is led in the right path of holistic development.
- Every individual is given the opportunity of developing communication and leadership skills.
- The marketing management develops a bridge between business knowledge and practice.
MISSION OF THE DEPARTMENT:
- To enhance the quality of students through knowledge exchange.
- To improve the performance of the students whereby the leadership skills are also developed.
- To provide the students with opportunity of getting employability skills in marketing sectors.
- To transform young students into good citizens of the society.
The Department of Marketing Management offers an industry-relevant curriculum, with subjects such as digital marketing, customer relationship management and services marketing as parts of the curriculum.
The Department is blessed with faculty members with rich experience in teaching who show keen interest in research and other academic activities. Most of them have actively involved themselves in presenting research papers and articles at several National and International conferences and have published the same in reputed UGC CARE-listed journals.
Apart from the above, the Department actively encourages students to pursue internships with marketing agencies as well as provides necessary training and counselling in both professional and personal setting.
As of the even semester of the academic year 2022-2023, the college has introduced Outcome-based education among all departments, which further enables the faculty of the Department to work together to conduct seminars, group discussions and role-plays on various marketing and other related issues to identify the hidden talents of the students and assist them further to become marketing leaders and professionals in their own right.
STRENGTHS AND OPPORTUNITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT:
- Highly qualified faculty with updated knowledge and skills.
- Wider scope to gain knowledge about the marketing sector.
- Employment opportunities to students in the area of marketing.
- Transform students into successful marketing professionals.
- Helpful for students to pursue any higher studies.
- Syllabus framed as per requirement to satisfy the industry needs.
- Develop an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Contribute to the country’s economy by satisfying customers’ needs from all walks of life.
WHY STUDY MARKETING MANAGEMENT AT AMJC ?
- Extremely high odds of becoming University of Madras Rank Holder after completing the degree.
- Acknowledged as one of the most influential courses all over the globe.
- Develop essential business insights.
- Read, understand and interpret data much easier than others.
- Diverse and well-paid career opportunities in both public and private sectors, irrespective of the type of industry.
- Helps students develop human intelligence in such a way that no machine can replace the human touch.
- Broaden awareness of dynamic Consumer Psychology among students.
- Improve communication and negotiation skills.
- Aid students to convert logical thinking into creative thinking and become critical strategists for all businesses.
COURSES INVOLVED IN MARKETING MANAGEMENT:
The following are the subjects involved in marketing management:
- Accounting - Financial, Corporate, Cost and Management Accounting.
- Principles of Marketing.
- Product Management.
- Services Marketing.
- Digital Marketing.
- Customer Relationship Management.
- Sales & Distribution management.
- Logistics & Supply Chain Management.
- Retail Marketing.
- Marketing Research.
- Business Economics and Indian Economy.
- Business Statistics and Elements of Operations Research.
- Banking Theory, Law & Practice.
Dr. A. Alamelumangai - Department of Economics - M.Sc., M.Phil., PhD.,
S.R.R. Sivajothi - M.Com., MBA, M.Phil., SET.,
Ms. Vatchala Ashokan - M.Com., NET.,
Dr. R.S. Anantharajan - M.Com., MBA, M.Phil., PhD.,
K. Reji - M.Com., M.Phil., B.Ed., PGDCM., SET.,
A. Vedhamanickam - M.Com., M.Phil., NET.,
S.P. Ramanathan - M.Com., M.Phil., M.A, SET.,
Dr. G. Valli - M.Com., M.Phil., PhD.,
S. Muthulakshmi - M.Com., M.Phil., NET, SET.,
Dr. S. Kumaran - M.Com., M.Phil., PhD.,
Facilitator / Head of the Department
CAREER OPPORTUNITIES IN MARKETING SECTOR:
In the Field of Commerce:
- Insurance Agent
- Import Export Manager
- Marketing Manager
- Cost Accountant
- Chartered Accountant
- Bank Manager
- Accounts Officer
- Accounts Manager
- Human Resources
In the Field of Marketing:
- Sales Manager.
- Marketing Manager.
- Public Relations Specialist.
- Business Strategist.
- Business Analyst.
- Sales Associate / Manager.
- Marketing Research Analyst.
- Digital Marketing Manager, etc.
HIGHER EDUCATION PROSPECTS:
- Digital Marketing.
- MBA in Logistics & Supply Chain Management.
- MBA in Production Management.
- MBA/PGDM in Research & Business Analytics.
- M.Com / MBA in Marketing Management.
- MBA in Sales Management.
- MBA in Strategic Management.