M.A Public Administration
M.A. PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
ABOUT THE COURSE
The Master of Arts in Public Administration is a 2 year (4 Semesters) regular programme offered under the University of Madras. The aim of the Master Degree in Public Administration is to provide comprehensive knowledge to the learners on the nature and relationship of the State, Society and Administration. It will develop the conceptual ideas of the learner on various administrative theories, postulates, models, processes, methods, instruments, techniques, etc.
A student is eligible to join the course if they have completed any bachelor degree with an overall 50%.
● To provide an opportunity for students to prepare for important Government Examinations such as IAS, IPS, IFS etc.
● To encourage students to hold and participate in Political Activities from Grass root Level
i.e., Village Panchayats, Local Bodies, Municipalities, Corporation, etc.
● To assist the students for various other competitive exams such as Bursar, BDO, MTS, AAO, etc.
● To emphasize research among young graduates in public policy analysis.
● To provide training, Research, Advisory and Consultancy services, and Information dissemination and exchange.
● To facilitate value added capacity building for Public Personnel and Private Sector Administrators.
● To encourage the highest standards of Professional Practice and Service to the Public by enhancing the understanding of the Public Sector and advocating the highest values
and ideals of Public Service.
● Encouraging the highest Standards of Professional Practice and Service to the Public.
● Enhancing the Understanding of the Public Sector.
● Advocating the Highest Values and Ideals of Public Service.
● Expanding and Exchanging Knowledge about Public Administration.
● Contributing to the Resolution of Key Issues in Public Administration.
● Promoting the Education and Professional Development of Public Administrators.
1.Civil Service Also known as government jobs, civil service tends to be more people oriented. This helps to work in Government institutions common to state and federal governments.
2. Education Administrators One of the largest parts of service is education. They provide instructional leadership and day to day management of educational institutions.
3. Administrative Services Managers A generic sort of sounding career, they plan, coordinate, and direct a broad range of services in everything from education to healthcare, State and local governments, as well as finance and insurance, are also potential employers.
4. Public Administration Consultant Being an expert in administration, many public administration professionals can go into consulting. They make policy and procedural recommendations for meeting budgets, deadlines, etc.
5. Executive Director This public administration career is the sort of CEO of a non-profit organisations. They head up the advocacy, fund raising, and other civic duties associated with the role. Usually chosen by the board of the non-profit, they are charged with running the entire organization.
6. Policy Analyst An opportunity to work with NGOs and Government organizations in analyzing contemporary issues related to public policy and interpreting the sensitivity of public
7. Program Analyst A good stepping stone for public administrators, this job focuses on improving a single program within an institution. They can be responsible for planning, analyzing, and evaluating the effectiveness of a program.
8. HR Manager This career includes recruiting, managing, staffing, directing and evaluating the employees for various organizations.
PO1 : Public Policy Analysis: Demonstrate capacity to analyze public policy and processes for enhancing public welfare.
PO2 : Administrative Problem Solving: Analysis and decision making through exposure to contemporary administrative issues and challenges
PO3 : Leadership: Demonstrate leadership and team spirit in taking new initiatives and executing tasks.
PO4 : Resource Management: Demonstrate skills to plan and utilize resources in responsible and effective manner
PO5 : E-Governance: Capacity to use modern ICT tools to effectively deliver services
PO6 : Ethics and Integrity: Display personal integrity and vigilance to ensure ethical conduct while discharging assigned responsibilities, individually or in a team
PO7 : Research: Utilize research methods and tools for research relating to public policy and programs.
● Public Relations Officer
● Administrative Officer
● Labour Welfare Officer
● Liaison Officer
● Labour Welfare Analyst
● Community Worker
● Management consultant
● Executive Assistant