HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT:
The history of Agurchand Manmull Jain College, Shift –II (previously known as the Evening Section) can be dated back to the year 1972.
Agurchand Manmull Jain College established the Department of Bank Management in the academic year 2015-2016. The primary objective of launching the department is to make the students specialize in the area of finance and banking. The course covers topics such as Accounting, Finance, Risk management, Bank Marketing, Customer service, Technology in Banking, and Leadership. By completing this course, students will be able to understand the legal and regulatory environment of the banking industry, and will gain the ability to manage risks and comply with regulations.
ABOUT THE COURSE:
The course B.Com (Bank Management) is a 3-year (6 Semesters) regular programme offered by the University of Madras.
This exclusive course provides students with the knowledge and skills needed to lead a successful banking career. The course covers topics such as Accounting, Finance, Risk management, Bank Marketing, Customer service, Technology in Banking, and Leadership.
By completing this course, students will be able to understand the legal and regulatory environment of the banking industry, and will gain the ability to manage risks and comply with regulations.
Ultimately, the Bank Management course is valuable because it sets versatile career opportunities for higher studies as well as employment. With a degree in Bank Management, students can pursue a promising career in the banking sector with many different roles.
Some of the most popular job roles in the banking industry include Bank Manager, Loan Officer, Compliance Officer, Credit Analyst, Investment Analyst, Investment Banker, Investment Broker,Certified Public Accountant,Chartered Management Accountant, Human Resource manager and Financial Analyst.
A student is eligible to join the course if they have completed a course equivalent to 10+2, or pre-university in any group with an overall percentage of 55 %, including languages.
VISION OF THE DEPARTMENT:
- To provide a conducive, supportive and learning environment in which every individual is led in the right path of holistic development.
- Every individual is given the opportunity of developing communication and leadership skills.
MISSION OF THE DEPARTMENT:
- To inculcate the knowledge of various rules and regulations governing the Indian banking system enables students to efficiently and confidently work in reputed banks.
- To strengthen Students’ analytical and decision-making skills to meet employer needs.
WHY BANK MANAGEMENT ?
The Department of Bank Management offers an industry-relevant curriculum, with trendsetting subjects such as Accounting, Finance, Risk management, Bank Marketing, Customer service, Technology in Banking as parts of the curriculum.
The Department is blessed with faculty members with rich experience in teaching who show keen interest in research and other academic activities. Most of them have actively involved themselves in presenting research papers and articles at several National and International conferences and have published the same in reputed UGC CARE-listed journals.
Apart from the above, the Department actively encourages students to pursue internships with various banks and financial institutions as well as provides necessary training and counselling in both professional and personal setting.
As of the even semester of the academic year 2022-2023, the college has introduced Outcome-based education among all departments, which further enables the faculty of the Department to work together to conduct seminars, group discussions and role-plays on various marketing and other related issues to identify the hidden talents of the students and assist them further to become marketing leaders and professionals in their own right. The college also offers a Value-added course on Banking Exam Coaching classes, which the students can pursue after college hours to prepare themselves well for several banking exams offered in the country.
STRENGTHS AND OPPORTUNITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT:
- Highly qualified faculty with updated knowledge and skills.
- Wider scope to gain knowledge about the banking and financial sector.
- Employment opportunities to students in the area of banking.
- Transform students into successful marketing professionals.
- Helpful for students to pursue any higher studies.
- Syllabus framed as per requirement to satisfy the industry needs.
- Develop an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Contribute to the country’s economy by satisfying customers’ needs from all walks of life.
- Industry-specific curriculum.
- Interactive Teaching.
- Student Counselling.
- ICT- enabled classrooms.
- Department Library.
CORE SUBJECTS OF BANK MANAGEMENT:
The following are the subjects involved in bank management:
- Accounting - Financial, Corporate, Cost and Management Accounting.
- Business Economics and Indian Economy.
- Business Statistics and Elements of Operations Research.
- Banking Theory, Law & Practice.
- Financial Regulations and Compliance.
- Banking Technologies.
- Income Tax & GST Practices.
- International Banking.
Dr. A. Alamelumangai - Department of Economics - M.Sc., M.Phil., PhD.,
Ms. S.R.R. Sivajothi - M.Com., MBA, M.Phil., SET.,
Ms. Vatchala Ashokan - M.Com., NET.,
Dr. R.S. Anantharajan - M.Com., MBA, M.Phil., PhD.,
Ms. K. Reji - M.Com., M.Phil., B.Ed., PGDCM., SET.,
Mr. A. Vedhamanickam - M.Com., M.Phil., NET.,
Mr. S.P. Ramanathan - M.Com., M.Phil., M.A, SET.,
Dr. G. Valli - M.Com., M.Phil., PhD.,
Ms. S. Muthulakshmi - M.Com., M.Phil., NET, SET.
Dr. S. Kumaran - M.Com., M.Phil., Ph.D
Facilitator / Head of the Department
JOB PROSPECTS IN BANKING SECTOR:
In the Field of Commerce:
- Insurance Agent
- Import Export Manager
- Marketing Manager
- Accounts Officer
- Accounts Manager
- Human Resources
In the Field of Banking:
- Bank Branch Manager.
- Investment Banker.
- Chartered Accountant / Chartered Management Accountant.
- Cost Accountant.
- Loan Counsellor.
- Wealth Manager.
HIGHER EDUCATION PROSPECTS:
- MBA in Management.
- M.Com in Banking & Finance.
- PGDM in Banking Management.
- CA / CMA.
- Chartered Financial Analyst.