History of the college

History Of The College

AGURCHAND MANMULL JAIN COLLEGE BRIEF HISTORY

In 1952 Agurchand Manmull Jain College was established by the magnanimity and munificence of Padma shri Mohanmullji Chordia through the Sri. S. S. Jain Educational Society, at the Inspiration of her Holiness Shri. Sayar Kanwarji Maharaj. Shri. Sri Prakasa,the then Governor of Madras Presidency, performed the auspicious task of inauguration on the 25th of June 1952 at the Jain Boarding Home premises in Madley Road,T.Nagar, chennai. The College got shifted to its new campus in Meenambakkam in 1954.That was indeed a very unique occasion in which two great educationists, late Dr. S. Radhakrishnan (the then Vice-President of India) and late Dr. A. Lakshmanaswami Mudaliar the then Vice-Chancellor of the University of Madras graced with their presence. The Former laying the foundation stone and the latter presiding over the function.

The College celebrated its Silver Jubilee in 1977 and the Golden Jubilee in 2002.Come June 2012 it will be into the Diamond Jubilee Year Celebrations. The College which started as a college for men was upgraded into a Co-educational institution in 2003.Today it is a frontline top ranking Research and Post Graduate institution. There are three Research Departments –Physics, Mathematics, Economics and Post Graduate Courses in Commerce, Chemistry, Physics, Economics and Mathematics and basic Graduate courses in eight major fields of study.

The College also has Shift-II that provides instructions in thirteen Under Graduate Courses and one Post Graduate Course.

November 1937 Formation of Sri S. S. Jain Educational Society
June 1952 His Excellency Sri. Prakasa, the then Governor of Madras, formally inaugurated the college. College had a humble beginning in Jain Boarding Home, T.Nagar Chennai
1954 College with its First Grade Status shifted to its permanent building in Meenambakkam. The foundation stone of the Main building at Meenambakkam was laid by Dr. Sir. S. Radhakrishnan, the then Vice-President of India, while Sir. A. Lakshmanasamy Mudaliar Vice Chancellor of the Madras University, presided over the function. National Cardet Corps., – Third Madras Battalion started functioning.
1958 Hostel was started in the college campus with 100 inmates.
1963 Foundation stone of B.M Kumbhat Memorial Block laid by Sir. A. Lakshmanasamy Mudaliar, Vice Chancellor, University of Madras. Foundation stone of Shri. Somasundara Reddiar Hostel laid by Hon. Shri K. Kamraj, Chief Minister of Madras.
1964 Shri. B.M. Kumbhat Memorial Block opened by Shri. Ghanshyamdas Birla
1969 Shift System introduced in College
1970 N. S. S unit of the College has started functioning.
1971 The shift system was rechristened as Evening College. The first Post Graduate courses - M.Com and M.Sc. Mathematics- came into being
1975 The institution became a full-fledged Under Graduate and Post Graduate College.
1976 Library block opened by His Excellency Mohanlal Sukhadia, Governor of Tamilnadu.
1977 Silver Jubilee of A.M. Jain College celebrated. Silver Jubilee celebrations was inaugurated by His Excellency Shri Mohanlal Sukhadia, Governor of Tamilnadu.
1982 Upgraded as a Research Institute
1983 Bhagwan Mahaveer Gyan Bhavan opened by His Excellency Sardar Gyani Zail Singh, President of India
1986 Inauguration of Mohanmull Chordia Jain Industrial Training Centre by His Excellency Sri. R. Venkatraman, Vice President of India.
2000 Computer Centre started with 50 computers.
2001 New block for Mohanmull Chordia Jain Industrial Training Centre opened by Hon. Shri T. R. Balu, Union Minister for Environment and Forests. First Post graduate programme M.Sc IT has its inception in Evening College
2002 Golden Jubilee of A.M. Jain College celebrated. Mr. T. N. Seshan, Former Election Commissioner and Vice Chancellor of Madras University Dr. Ignatu Muthu inaugurated the celebrations.
2004 College turned Co-education
2006 UGC – NAAC Accredited
2009 Computer centre has been expanded as a full-fledged centre with nearly 280 terminals connected to four servers through a network system, to facilitate nearly 1750 students doing practical./td>
2010 Physics & Chemistry department was renovated and given a fresh look Canteen was renovated and new cooking gadgets was provided to cater the needs of the students RO was provided in the entire campus for the drinking purpose 250 KVA Generator was installed to augment the power supply. II Floor with 22 class rooms was constructed in the Main Building A new library with modern facilities & Software in the Main Building is opened for Shift-II
2011 The 60th batch of students entered the college With the persistent efforts of the Sri. Sardarmall Chordia, Agurchand Manmull Jain School was started which is to be affiliated to CBSE pattern State of the Art Seminar Hall and Conference hall is made available in the Main Block for conducting seminars.